Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What? Lance took drugs? Who knew?

So it's true. After years of testing, years of former teammates accusing him, and years of adamant denials, Lance Armstrong has admitted that he used "performance enhancing drugs" during his unprecedented cycling career. Though the media is attempting to make this headline news, no one is surprised, no one seems to really care. It's old news. Even those of us who have followed Armstrong, cheered on his victories, prayed for him as he battled cancer, and who have hoped that the growing accusations were not true are not really surprised by his admission.

Disappointed? Absolutely.

Shocked? Nope.

In reality, no matter how much we try to glorify our heroes, they are all human. They are all just like us. They struggle. They fear. They hope. They work. They fall. They get back up. In the process of living, they all seek to be the best they can be. The difference is that the world is watching them. They are under the spotlight and, as such, the emotional strain on them tends to magnify the aforementioned human experiences.

As I write this I am sipping on my rapidly cooling cup of coffee - my third cup of the morning. I like coffee. A lot. I like how it helps me to wake up more quickly. It helps me to be more alert in the mornings. I am completely aware that this effect is not due to simply consuming a warm beverage in the morning. If that was so a warm cup of water would have the same effect. The reality is that caffeine is my morning friend. And I'm not alone. Many of my friends get their daily dose of energy from a beverage, be it coffee, soda, or tea. It's considered to be "normal" in our society.

But caffeine is simply a chemical - that affects the body like a drug, a performance enhancing drug.

Many folks I know drink coffee throughout the day in order to stay more alert or to keep their minds sharp during class or at work. Others drink "energy drinks" or take "energy shots" for the same effect. I have friends who take supplements to help them loose weight or gain muscle mass. Many folks in our society use what is available to achieve the results they need or want. And that is OK with most of us, we don't take a second glance, it's normal, everybody does it!

Many cyclists shave their legs (even the boys). Most cyclists wear specialty clothing to reduce wind resistance. Many bikers use some type of creme to keep their nether-regions from chaffing on long rides. Lots of endurance athletes carry energy shots on long runs or rides to get a nutritional boost on the trek. Most athletes drink Powerade, Gatorade, or the equivalent to replace lost electrolytes for quicker recovery. Many folks take vitamins to supplement food intake. Such activities are considered normal to help our bodies perform better. The lines of acceptability are often blurry. Once one takes one step - caffeine - it is not difficult to take the next - a "natural" "vitamin" to boost muscle growth or to speed recovery. It does not take many such steps before approaching the line of legality. And if "everyone" seems to be bouncing against the line of legality, some crossing over without getting caught, why not try? Why not take advantage of what everyone else is doing? Why not try to level the playing field?

I'm not trying to justify the choice of Armstrong or others who seek to gain an edge by using illegal substances. I am certainly not trying to justify him lying about it for years and years. I am especially not advocating him suing former teammates of slander who told the truth about their own and his use of drugs. But it is not at all surprising. It is very easy for me to understand how someone can get to that point.

The lesson for me is not to make too much of those in the spotlight. Though they are extraordinary in their chosen field or sport, underneath they are just normal people who face the same struggles we all face. All fall down. Some get up with grace. Some do not. Enjoy watching. Enjoy the entertainment. But don't make them heroes.

Lance Armstrong's story still inspires me. I will never forget watching him ride a 20 mile time trial from the foot of a mountain to the peak, standing most of the way, crushing his competitors and securing the Tour de France victory. Amazing. I don't care what edge he gained from performance enhancing drugs. According to many who have accused him over the years, every cyclist was taking something illegal during those years. There is no way of knowing that now.

I've made mistakes - lots of mistakes - over the years. I'm so thankful for family and friends who have supported me along the way. I'll never be a cycling superstar - thank goodness! I don't think I could handle the pressure! I'll still watch the grand Tour each year (and some year want to go see it in person). I'll still support Livestrong and the wonderful work that organization does to further cancer research. I'll still admire Armstrong's accomplishments on the bike even though he has been stripped of his titles. I'll still find inspiration from those who are faster and stronger than me when they ride.

But my heroes are not any of these seeming supermen. My heroes are normal. My heroes are not quite as exciting as those on the national and international stage. My heroes are those who do amazing things behind the scenes - loving their families, helping their neighbors, finding deep meaning in ordinary jobs, and being the hands and feet of God by giving grace to those they meet.

And I'll still drink coffee. I think I'll grab another cup.

No comments: