Saturday, January 26, 2013

Grace, again

I can't seem to get away from grace. Or perhaps better said, grace seems to pursue me. Not only do I find the concept of grace - human and divine - compelling. I find I am constantly in need of grace from God and from others. Conversely, I find that I do not offer grace as much as I receive it. As an avid buyer of books a quick scan of my bookshelves at home and at work will reveal quite a few books on the topic of grace. When reading I find myself underlining passages about God's grace much more frequently than any other topic. My favorite songs, novels, and movies all have grace or its applied twin justice as a central theme. I got a new book this week from my friends at Amazon. No, I really don't know anyone who works there, but their logo arrives at my home or office door so much on the boxes that carry my purchases I feel like they are old friends. The most recent delivery was Richard Rohr's newest book, Immortal Diamond (2013). this little treasure has provided much thought for me over the past few days. I told my wife how I feel like underlining almost every sentence. She told me I should perhaps highlight it with a paint roller. I have underlined and scribbled notes on every page so far. I imagine many thoughts will find their way into this blog over the following days and weeks. I don't this this will be a book I finish and process quickly.

One of the quotes that I keep returning to read is a fleshing out of the simple idea that "God is love." Rohr writes,
"Basically, grace is God's first name, and probably last name too. Grace is what God does to keep all things he has made in love and alive - forever. Grace is God's official job description. Grace is not something God gives; grace is who God is." [p. xx, italics in original]
If Christians are followers of Jesus, the Incarnation of God, who are trying to emulate him as savior, Lord, and example on living as humans on this side of paradise, then each should also seek to be more grace-ful in all that they do. As Jesus begins to live in and through us we should begin to embody Rohr's above description; we should become incarnations of grace.

Another book I have been slowly digesting adds to this idea. In Jesus Christ, Glenn Hinson (1977) writes that for Jesus, discipleship "is characterized by boundless love and forgiveness" (p. 94). He continues,
"Experiencing this love and forgiveness impels him to love and to forgive. Indeed, the disciple knows that he has been justified if he loves and forgives: if he has fed the hungry, given drink to the thirsty, welcomed the stranger, clothed the naked, visited the sick, and cared for prisoners (Matt. 25:31;46). The disciple's love, as the parable of the Samaritan shows, is boundless. So is his forgiveness. Everything depends upon the genuineness of his forgiveness of others (Matt 18:23-35)" (p. 94)."
As a lover of annoying questions I cannot but begin to query myself:

  • Am I more grace-ful each day? 
  • In each interaction am I demonstrating and reflecting the grace that I have been shown by God? 
  • Is my life a mirror of God's grace? 
  • Is grace my go-to option in all situations? 
  • If I cannot answer these affirmatively, what am I demonstrating and of what have I become a disciple? What has my allegiance? 

No comments: