Saturday, January 05, 2013

I make up words.

I make things up. One of my favorite things to invent is new words. I get it honest; it's in my genes. When I was a kid and working on some project with my dad he would often ask me to hand him that "thingy." When I didn't understand what he meant he would get a bit more specific...and frustrated...and point with his finger, or if his hands were occupied, nod with his head. It usually took quite a while to figure out what exactly he was talking about. The worst was when he sent one of the kids to the storage room to retrieve said "thingy". We never knew which of the hundreds of tools he required. Usually we made lots of trips. Sometimes I filled a toolbox and brought it to him. I typically still didn't have the right "thingy" in the midst of the collected horde. So I've learned to be much more specific. I have more than one creative descriptor. I employ lots of terms that on the most inconvenient, but fun occasions! Perhaps this short list will help you the next time we chat. 

Whackadoodle. This is a flexible term to describe someone (or something). Usually it is a term of endearment, as it, "what a whackadoodle." Translation: "that dude is nuts."

Thingamajig. Obviously, this describes a very specific object. It is usually something which I need immediately, but whose proper term has escaped my mind. Like my dad, I usually point, or if my hands are occupied, look towards the object while gesturing with my head (or foot, or hip). 

Hoochadoodies. This can be used interchangeably with the above "thingamajig" or the below "whatchamacallit." However, there are some key differences. A hoochadoodie implies action. The term should not be used for a static object, but one with movable parts. For instance a knife would be a thingamajig, while kitchen sheers would be a hoochadoodie. A mallet would be a thingamajig (or a whatchamacallit), but a garlic press would be a hoochadoodie. 

Whatchamacallit. This is more of a question than a given name or term. Yes, it is descriptive, but it is a description that invites a clarifying response. For instance:
Me: "Hand me that whatchamacallit." 
Helper: "You mean this torque wrench?" 
Me: "Exactly!"

HooHa. I began using this word when changing dirty diapers. It is the perfect description of what babies deposit into (and often out of) their never-sufficiently-fastened disposable undies. It is not only descriptive of the ordure deposited there, but also of the persuasive smell that is impossible to extinguish. 

Shostakovitch. This is a generic word to use when upset or surprised. I suppose it is an all purpose  expletive. I credit this to my brother who, while in a music class had to listen to works of various composers. He was tested by being able to name the composer after hearing a short clip of a musical piece. After listening to a symphony by Dmitri Shostakovitch my brother proclaimed that it sounded like, well, to be polite, he uttered a common term for manure. After that he began to declare, "Shostakovitch!" whenever he was mad, hurt, or startled. It became his go-to expletive. I adopted it as well. It is actually more fun to say that the shorter "s-word". However, anymore I try not to say anything when upset. Sometimes I just yell, "aaaaaahhhhh!" 

Homer/Suzie. These are the generic names for significant others. They are employed almost universally when speaking to someone about their boyfriend/girlfriend, fiancĂ©, or spouse even if I know the person's actual given name. Yes, sometimes I use different names. But you know what I mean. It's just more fun that way!

Here are a few other answers I give - not so much made up terms, but generic time idicators.

4:15. The song proclaims that "it's 5 o'clock somewhere," but when you ask me what time it is you will probably get "4:15" as the answer. 
I hate clocks and time. They are much to restrictive.  I don't know why. 

45 minutes. This is how long anything is expected to take or when something will begin. If you ask me such questions I will immediately reply, "45 minutes." Not very helpful? It is for me! If everything takes/lasts 45 minutes things are so much easier!  

Of course, this list is not in anyway exhaustive. I also reserve the right to change the meaning of the terms at my discretion without any prior notification. 

No comments: