Monday, January 28, 2013

Teaching with heart and soul: Meet Paige Martin Robbins!

Paige Robbins (Blaine Marable photography)
In college UGA cheerleader Paige Martin Robbins graced the sidelines of Sanford Stadium to cheer on her beloved Georgia Bulldogs. It was an honor for her to be a part of this exclusive squad of athletes that supported the Georgia football team each weekend during the fall! But her greatest accomplishment was not what she did on the sidelines, but what she did with her teammates during the week. Paige, a special education major at UGA, joined with another cheerleader to start a weekly bible study for her teammates. That was her sophomore year. The following year was the hardest, as her two closest teammates did not make the team. She led the study until she graduated. She reflected, "God really showed me that he had placed me on the team not for myself and what I could gain, but how he could use me for his purpose."

Paige grew up in Savannah and was a member of Southside Baptist Church. She would return home each summer during college to help out with the youth group. She helped recruit Ben Robbins to come as a youth intern each summer. She and Ben were married just after graduation from UGA. One of the perks of being a UGA cheerleader is that sometimes special guests show up at important events - Hairy Dog joined in for the wedding festivities!

Now Paige teaches Special Education in Warner Robins. Her deep faith has given her great patience with her students. When I asked her about teaching she responded,
"My greatest joy as a teacher is to see my students learn. That may sound a little silly, but to see them make progress and become more independent makes me feel like I have made a difference. Sometimes it takes my students longer to learn a new skill, but I am so proud when they get it!"
Life has come full circle. Ben (and the staff of Longleaf) recruited Paige to work with the youth at the church. In addition to teaching school full-time  she is now employed part-time at the church helping with events and organization. What she learned while working with the cheerleaders continues to benefit now. She loves working with the girls in the youth group in discipleship, building relationships and teaching them about Jesus.

It has been so fun watching Ben and Paige take on this adventure called life. With faith being the foundation that drives all that they do I cannot wait to read the next chapter in their journey!

No comments: