Tuesday, May 03, 2005

It's not about me...

It is so easy to fall into thinking that the world revolves around me. We are the center of our own experiences. We are our points of view. Why not make the short jump to imagining that we are actually the center of the universe? Oh admit it! You do it too!

This morning as sip my cup a Joe (a bit too much sugar added) reading from the Psalms, I was unexpectedly knocked off of my high horse of self-centeredness. Let me set the scene. In Psalm 75 the people are gathered for worship. They utter the well-worn phrase in hum drum fashion, "We give thanks to you, O God; [perhaps with yawn?] we give thanks; your name is near [I wonder what's for lunch]. People tell of your wondrous deeds." And then God has the nerve to speak up! He was in this worship service, though the people didn't really care, or maybe didn't even believe he showed up anymore. God says, "...When the Earth totters, with all its inhabitants, it is I who keep its pillars steady. I say to the boastful, 'do not boast,' and to the wicked, 'do not lift up your horn; do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with insolent neck.'" (verses 3-5).

"Oops," I mutter. I guess God takes this perspective thing pretty seriously! Perhaps I should remind myself each day which way is up and who is really King of the Mountain! "OK Nate, write 10,000 times 'God is in charge, I am not.'"

I guess I get the picture. We all need reminders occasionally that it's not about me!

No comments: