Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spring Break '08


  • I knew almost nothing about the problems of human trafficking - until I watched the movie,"Trade" with a rag tag group of students and interested community folk; now I'm horrified, angered, and want justice
  • I was numbed by the horrors of children forced or coerced into prostitution in Atlanta - until I learned many were the age of my pre-teen daughter, now my emotions are raw with anger and deep sadness
  • I was overwhelmed by the problems of the "homeless" in Atlanta and Athens - until I met John, David, and so many others, who I discovered are very much like me, save they have to fight to live each day
  • I knew Atlanta was undergoing economic expansion by rejuvenating many downtown areas - now I know that many of the changes are systematically drive out those who suffer under conditions of poverty, creating many more people who must now live on the streets
  • I was angered by the many inner city children who commit crimes - now I understand they are "created" by the cycle of poverty into which they were born
  • I thought poverty was created by "others" - now I know that I too am to blame by my actions and inactions
  • I thought that all efforts to alleviate poverty and injustice were the same - now I know that some ministries put a band aid on symptoms while hurting the spirits of those that need to be treated humanely
  • I was taught that the Bible was primarily "God's love letter to me - now I know that the Bible cries out for justice for the "least of these" more than 2200 times, yet this is the subject taught, written about and spoken of the least in most circles of Christians
  • I came to Atlanta with a small band of students who love God - I'm leaving Atlanta with a small group of students who love God and are passionate about justice

No comments: