Sunday, March 09, 2008

For what do I pray?

Our last study of the day, part 4 in "Get Uncomfortable", a Threads study by Todd Phillips, raises an interesting question about the focus and purpose of our faith as evidenced in our prayers. Phillips writes that we should pray specific, larger-than-life prayers that call on God to be God and do the impossible. "You hate injustice and oppression and the abuse of power. So these are my prayers: I ask You-because I believe in who You are and what You can do-save everyone. Stop the suffering. Lead us out to do the things that You have prepared for us to do. God, here I am, send me. Change the world through me and others like me" (p. 67). He goes on to ask, "Are we praying God-sized prayers, or are we just asking God to fix the things in our lives that make us uncomfortable? Have we lost that sense of wonder and certainty about God that a 4-year-old might have? Are we praying for big things that only God can do" (p. 67)?

We are learning to recapture this sense of wonder in what God can do - even through our small efforts God can use our tiny offerings to do amazing things FOR others and IN us! It is so fun to watch these students learn the ways God wants to work and will work through and in us if we but take a tiny, prayerful step towards justice and social action.

No comments: