Saturday, November 18, 2017

Everything Changes (part 2): Some Responses

The Postmodern conception of no absolutes should not come as a surprise to those who are well read. However, the speed at which this philosophical idea has penetrated and permeated society, especially among younger generations, is disturbing to many adults. “The only thing in my world that is consistent is change,” collegians involved in our ministry have confessed. I posted an entry on my blog earlier this week that was birthed from a conversation with graduating seniors with whom I meet weekly for Bible study and reflection about commitment. Since the post went up I have received many comments via text, messenger, email, as well as personal conversations that support the observations and conclusions therein. This post is to share some of those responses. I will continue to explore these thoughts so please add your ideas, especially as they relate to your personal experiences and conversations with emerging adults. 

From Collegians:

[my paraphrase from a personal conversation] I completely agree. For my unbelieving friends, it’s even more true - there is nothing that we can rely on - even relationships. In fact, I understand why many of my peers don’t put extra effort into relationships when they begin to get rocky. It’s not worth it. Just find a new relationship. With sex too - why wait? When marriage is not a sure thing in your future it’s no surprise that folks believe you should just try to get whatever you can from a relationship while it lasts. (From a 3rd-year Christian collegian)

“I completely agree with that idea about change. But I don’t agree when it concerns faith. My faith is my foundation.” (From a junior student leader in BCM)

“This was so good, Nathan. Definitely the worldview I can relate to and would still hold if God didn’t wreck it & draw me in to seek His real, unchanging character. Maybe I would’ve never said it out loud but after growing up hearing about Old Testament God who floods the earth and sends His people to kill thousands and won’t even let Moses into the promised land when he strikes a rock once after his years of “faithful service” in contrast with New Testament God, it was hard to believe that He could not change. However, God in His sovereignty took me through suffering that legitimately called everything I thought about God into question & forced me to seek who He really is—steadfast, glory-driven, and the one who cannot change but changes everything. Maybe the most shocking/life-changing Word for me was in Genesis 3, when He LITERALLY kills animals to cover their shame, the aftermath of their sin. He makes the first blood shed on earth an animal’s blood when it so rightly deserved to be man. First of all, I’d never thought much about God’s grace in that chapter and if I had at all, it would’ve been that He changed his mind even though He promised death if they ate from the tree—upon further review, I realized I’d never been more wrong. This picture of God was so clearly the exact same God promising a sacrificial lamb all through the OT and sending His very SON in the NT. That idea rocked my world. God continued to draw me in more & more & reveal His character to me, especially His zeal for glory & His total sovereignty. A couple years later, it’s still sometimes hard to shake the worldview that faithfulness is conditional sometimes (especially when my eyes get off of God & on me/the world). Being faithful in the little things isn’t just hard or difficult, it’s impossible apart from God, but it’s part of sanctification and will come by God changing it in us so I’m praying about it for myself and my friends and my generation.” (From a current student at UGA)

“Love the blog post. Very ironic because I just wrote a paper about the exact same thing in [a class].... I think the best way [to reach out to nonbelievers] is how you mentioned God's faithfulness. I'm preaching on Joseph this Sunday and it's such an awesome story because it shows that even when bad things happen, God is still working for our good. Conveying that to people is important. And then for marriage, I wrote about love is not just an emotion but a decision. You may not always like your spouse or what they are doing in that moment but you should always love and sacrifice for them.” (From a BCM leader who is also on staff at a local church)

From Ministers and/or Teachers:

“This was interesting to read but I kind of understand from the students thinking. Not necessarily agreeing but something that should be discussed more! Thanks for sharing! Miss you friend!” (From a former Baptist Campus Minister Intern, now seminary student, who is only a few years post graduation). 

"The world we live in, the world I have come to know, is one that is full of change. So much so, that I find myself not only expecting change, but craving it. I want new experiences, new places, new people, new things. Change has become almost a synonym for success in some ways. If things are staying the same, it feels like failure - which I don’t really know how to explain. But if things are changing, it feels like success - 'at least things are moving, at least we are headed somewhere' are thoughts that run through my mind in times like this.

As a recent graduate, this concept has come up quite often for me. As I navigate this new season of life, of trying to decide where it is I need to go from here, as I try to discern what it is the Lord has for me in this life, I find myself anxious. I feel change coming, but now it's a change that I’m uncertain of. In the midst of this changing state of life, I do crave solid foundations - relationships, ideas, etc. - to cling to. I have been raised to believe in commitment, and I understand the merit of it, but the difficulty arises in seeing how it comes into play in such a changing world. When is it okay to leave a place that you’ve committed to? When is it not? These are questions that plague my mind. 

In conclusion, though, I believe you are right, this is most certainly an opportunity to minister well to an entire generation. I see beauty in commitment. I see the value there. It is just hard to know how to put it into practice at times. I am thankful for a God that is unchanging through the storms of life. I am thankful for a Savior who offers grace in EVERY circumstance. I am thankful for these truths about my King. However, in times like I am in, I feel like we (my generation) need people like yourself to come alongside us and encourage us to receive that blessing of commitment, to learn how to navigate it well, and to rid ourselves of anxiety and stress by trusting in the unchanging One." (From a recent graduate, current youth minister/seminarian)

“Great thoughts and insights. I think this highlights that one of the greatest gifts clergy, mentors, parents, etc can give our teenagers/emerging adults is that of a consistent presence. In addition, I am glad you discussed how faithfulness correlates with action. That reminds us that one of the strengths of this generation is their determination to equate beliefs and actions and to distrust those entities/institutions/individuals that cannot back up beliefs with the corresponding action.” (From a 30 something, seminary-trained college administrator/teacher, and former associate pastor)

"We don't need to try to change their worldview, but learn how to engage with them and teach them how God wants to enter into their world and provide a foundation for connection to the divine and to others." (From a thirty-something Lutheran pastor)

“This is all really good and very accurate. I think you’ve found something good to spend time praying over and exploring.” (From an emerging Adult who is an elementary school teacher)

“Why does this have to be a negative? Several folks who commented on Facebook don’t seem to understand these ideas so they dismiss them as crazy or immature. These ideas are not going away, but will only become more pervasive. How can we think differently so as to embrace these ideas of change? How can we begin to see what they see and adapt our teaching and ministry accordingly?” (From a 50+ year-old parent and middle school teacher)

Updated 12/6/17

No comments: